BE PROUD OF WHERE YOU COME FROM - CHRIS DILLI

By Chris Dilli

BE PROUD OF WHERE YOU COME FROM

(I was inspired by my friends, colleagues to pen down this article, it was about my experience in the past)

   When I introduced my friends to my hometown last year, I was nervous that they’d think it was lame. No, we don’t have big malls, tons of museums or recreational areas, or other tourist destinations. Many people I know at school, place of work live in or near exciting cities that I’ve never visited and are still on my travel bucket list. Since I don’t live in a big city or suburb, I felt that I was at an instant disadvantage.

READ MORE: Zulum announces a complete lockdown in Borno state

If you know me, you know I talk about my hometown quite frequently, often with a healthy amount of self-deprecating humor. It is the love of my hometown that made me take it's name as my second name. Taking jabs at the mediocrity of my hometown has become my go-to way to compensate for what I felt was my uninteresting background, giving me something I could joke about and be proud of. “Hey,” my actions would say, “I come from a boring place, but it’s okay because I can overcome it and acknowledge it.”

READ MORE: FEDERAL GOVERNMENT Give Full Details Of Its Fight Against COVID-19

Before moving to high institution, my classmates and friends talked nonstop about how they wanted to get out of my hometown. It didn’t matter what they wanted to accomplish in life, the most important thing was to leave and hopefully never come back. I adopted this train of thought without realizing it, picturing myself five to ten years down the road in somewhere more exciting, more fun, with more opportunities – always more. This seems to be a common sentiment felt by kids all over the country, no matter where they come from.

READ MORE: HAVING A POLITICAL WILL AND DIRECTION FOR THE MBULA NATION - GBASHAM FWA

School has been a great experience so far. I’ve made some awesome friends, gotten involved in interesting organizations, taken fascinating classes (and some not-so-fascinating ones), and have learned a lot about myself and about the profession I'm practicing "#PenProfession". But I also really love going home. At home, I can completely be myself. I know the city like the back of my hand and have a group of great friends there too. And at the end of the day I really enjoy spending time with my books nd Family,  Although I’ve learned a lot at school, I still feel the most comfortable at home, where I grew up and made so many great memories.

READ MORE: Covid-19: Pastors arrested for holding Easter service in Warri

Admitting you love your hometown or just like being home in general isn’t lame, even though it’s often seen as such. At the beginning of breaks, many people profess their love of college and how they don’t want to go home and how much they’re looking forward to coming back. People think that you’re not making the most of your college experience if you identify as a homebody. hmm,  At a school like ADS POLY where getting an internship in the city is the ultimate goal, going home for holidays is seen almost like a failure.

AUDIO MP3: Ricky Finest Ft. Femstar – Tanana

People who head home for the holidays instead of traveling or taking a big-time internship are not failures. Those who move back to their hometown after graduation aren’t going to waste their qualifications. You don’t have to move to Lagos to have a successful grad life after completion of your studies (Laugh all you want, but 48% of the MACOSSA Class of 2015/17 reported living in Lagos after graduation – no wonder ND has such a strong Lagos  influence!) Lol.

Be proud of where you come from, whether that is a big city or a tiny farming town. Your hometown shaped who you are today, and you should never feel ashamed of where you came from just because it’s different than the majority. If you get excited to go home for breaks, whether from work or school don’t fret. You aren’t a lesser or uncivilized person because of it. Be proud of who you are and where you came from, and the rest will fall into place.
#i_know_were_I_come_from
#I_am_proud_of_my_hometown
#I_pray_my_hometown_should_be_proud_of_me
#Mbula
#NzaliMbula
#MurumMbula
#ProudlyMbula

0/Post a Comment/Comments

Previous Post Next Post